What schedule features are available in Power365 migrations?
Power365 provides the option to schedule user actions by wave. You can schedule the start time of 3 types of actions.
For more information about each action, read this online help article about Prepare, Sync & Cutover.
Can I schedule when a user is created?
Yes, the user creation process can be scheduled to start based on a wave.
To schedule the creation of a missing user in the target environment, the Prepare action must be scheduled or executed manually. Just choose the start date and time when asked in the schedule setup wizard.
This option is only available for Premium Integration projects. All other project types require the target user be created by Power365 Directory Sync or by another method.
Can I schedule when a user is provisioned and licensed?
Yes, the user account provisioning and licensing process can be scheduled to start based on a wave.
During the first synchronization job a user account is licensed for Exchange Online and optionally for SharePoint Online if OneDrive for Business is being migrated. Once the user is licensed, the user’s mailbox will be provisioned to ready for data migration.
The Sync action must be scheduled or executed manually to provision the target account. Just choose the start date and time when asked in the schedule setup wizard.
This option is only available for Premium Integration projects. All other project types require the target user be provisioned manually.
Can I schedule when a user cutover begins?
Yes, the user cutover can be scheduled to start based on a wave. Just choose the start date and time when asked in the schedule setup wizard.
Can I schedule all these tasks at once or separately?
Each migration schedule is assigned to a single wave or group of waves. Each wave can be moved as need into a new schedule or out of an existing one. A wave can only be assigned to one schedule at a time.
By selecting one or more option, as illustrated below, the “Start On” date and time fields will be available for population. Set the date and time for each action selected.
If you wish to schedule only the Prepare job at first then decide later when to schedule your first Sync, that’s easy to do. Simply select Prepare in the schedule and click next and finish up the schedule.
Once the wave(s) is scheduled for Prepare and runs successfully, check your users for errors that may need resolving.
Figure 1: Example Activity Schedule
Can I schedule the frequency and number of Syncs?
Yes, the user sync action has two (2) additional parameters besides the start date and time. When scheduling a Sync activity, you will be asked how many times you would like to run a sync and how often that sync should run, either in hours, days or weeks.
When choosing how often to sync, keep in mind that subsequent sync jobs after the initial sync are delta syncs that bring over changes, therefore are smaller and faster.
Figure 2: Example Migration Schedule Questions
How do I schedule migration activity (Prepare, Sync, or Cutover) using Waves?
Anytime during the project, you may setup or edit your Migration Wave schedule(s) using the Project Wizard. Follow these instructions to edit your Migration Wave Schedule.
- Login to Power365.
- Navigate to your Project Dashboard.
Click the “Schedule” button at the top of the Dashboard.
Figure 3: Dashboard Menu with Schedule
- A new page will open listing your current schedules.
- Click "Add Another Schedule" button to create a new one.
- A new page will open listing your current waves.
- Select the existing wave(s) you wish to schedule or Click the “Add Migration Wave” button to create a new one.
- Once selected, click “Next”.
- Select the activities to schedule (Prepare, Sync, Cutover) and enter the Start Date and Time for each selected activity. Note that the Prepare activity is available for Premium Integration projects only.
- Click “Next”.
- If the Sync activity was selected, enter the frequency of the Sync jobs. You can enter the frequency in Hours, Days or Weeks.
- Click “Next”.
- If the Sync activity was selected, enter the total number of Syncs that will take place during the scheduled sync jobs. The number of syncs is unlimited, however there is a 100-sync throttling policy. The policy can be adjusted if required, upon a valid request to Binary Tree Support.
- Click “Next”.
- A summary page will open. Review the details, make modifications by clicking the “Back” button.
- Add another schedule for another wave by clicking the “Add Another Schedule” button.
- If satisfied with the summary, click “Looks Good” to save and close the schedule.